Thursday, August 03, 2006

ZE First rule

GLUTAMINE IS GOOD

This is what bro started the blog off with - which is not a bad start so I thought I would continue:

The First rule is Glutamine is good
The Second rule is hydration is key
The Third rule is nutrition is vital to us all
The Fourth rule is carbohydrates and fats are great
and the Fifth rule and final rule is the first "old wives tale" of the blog: -

Eat what you really want, precisely when you want, and stop when you're full.

So I guess a bit of background is required before I work through the above - and I thought I'd put this here rather than in the profile which was just going to fill up space.

I have no training in nutrition at all, and my interest stemmed from the mother of all invention - necessity - so a story is required:

Several years ago when I was first sharing a flat in London with my brother, he announced that he wanted to get involved in rowing seriously for his university - which happened to be one of the best at this crazy sport. Rowing, for the wisely unaware, at the top end of the sport involves racing at heart rates of 180+ for either 7-8 minutes or 17-20 minutes depending on the time of year and fitness - Wikipedia link here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_rowing

My brother was in that all important third year of uni and I, for my part, had introduced him into the sport in the first place, and was therefore knew the difference having a supportive person around could make to a rower's performance and wellbeing. So I promised my brother that if he was really going to make a go of it, I would transport him to and from races and organise his food. Seemed simple...*ahem*

Two months later, my car and dining table had developed the uncanny ability to sprout several rowers at a time, the BLT sandwiches I stocked my car with were becoming the stuff of legend and my food bill was topping more than twice my rent. The main problem however was that although the food I was serving up did wonders for other members of my brother's crew, my classic 'ectomorph' brother was losing weight, fast, and could not put on muscle for love nor money. All of a sudden, I became very very interested in nutrition!

Since then I've spent a fair amount of time involved in competitive rowing - as a cox (steers person) and coach - and my kitchen has usually contained at least one hungry (and often cranky) rower/cyclist on the hunt for food, and at the same time those needs had to be balanced against my need as a cox to lose weight. However, as much as I've read and picked up along the way from the many brilliant coaches and oarsmen I have had the privilege to train with, I often come back to what I call 'old wives tales'. By 'old wives tales' I mean the hundred and one little bits of advice which I barely even remember being told, but if I think about it, often came from my grandmothers or their friends - both of my grandmothers were nurses at one or more points in their lives, and incredible hostesses and home-makers (for want of a better modern words). So I guess what I hope to do here is bring it all together in one place - the old and the new for better or worse!

So that's the story - now for the rules!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home